Nagato had long remained the most powerful warship in the Imperial Japanese Navy. She had good armor and carried 410 mm main battery guns. In the 1930s, the ship was modernized to receive more powerful torpedo protection.
- Decent speed, impressive handling and good ergonomics for a dreadnought.
- 410mm guns have fairly good accuracy and penetration, and the highest damage in her tier.
- Superior main battery range to her American and German counterparts.
- Fast-loading secondary batteries that have a high shell volume.
- Secondary batteries become dangerous when upgraded with the right Commander Skills.
- Decent rudder shift time.
- Highest HP pool at her tier.
- Armor is quite weak and citadel is quite vulnerable, though this can be mitigated by angling and good positioning.
- Anti-aircraft suite is subpar, with most of her AA damage being concentrated at medium range.
- Despite the guns being rather accurate, the dispersion itself is sometimes wonky at long range.
- Slow gun reload time compared to her contemporaries at Tier VII makes her reliant on getting good solid hits and citadel penetrations for damage.
- Torpedo protection is not so effective.
- Weak armor protecting her rudder.
- Fairly high detection range.