The ship was developed from a series of German heavy cruisers. Unlike ships of preceding classes, she boasted an increased displacement and more powerful main battery guns.
- Fast-reloading 203mm guns; not as fast as Des Moines, but with better base range and shell arcs.
- Excellent shell velocity and low gun arc makes hitting distant targets easier.
- Good range on her main battery guns, which can be boosted to 20.7 km by equipping Gun Fire Control System Modification 3.
- Best cruiser AP shell damage in the game; Hindenburg will punish any ship that is broadside to her, regardless of class.
- Strong AA armament, especially if a few modules or commander skill points are invested in improving the range.
- Decent torpedoes with good firing arcs.
- Armor scheme is deceptively sturdy; she is hard to citadel at medium and short range.
- Best Hydroacoustic Search in the game.
- AP shells are near useless against targets that are well-angled.
- HE shell damage is lower than all other Tier X cruisers.
- Sluggish maneuverability and low maximum speed.
- Large size; Hindenburg is fairly easy for enemies to hit.
- Prone to citadel penetrations at long range, which makes her large detection radius a huge liability.
- Large detection radius for a cruiser — 16.0 km base — although this can be reduced to ~12 km with the right equipment modules and commander skills.
- Has to expose quite a bit of her broadside to bring all guns to bear.